1) Aqua por favor: When you feel hungry consider having a glass of water first. When you make sure you get your 8 glasses a day you will find that your body may not want that Twinkie after all.
Think Before You Act2) Think about what you can eat. Find a healthy alternative to the snack foods you normally munch on. For example, between 3 and 4 in the afternoon I normally have a piece of candy. If I replace the candy with something healthier, like carrots, then I can still have my afternoon snack without blowing my diet.
3) Are you really hungry? I know that cake looks great, but are you really hungry.
4) Watch out for the snacks. It is so easy to watch TV and much on chips. Your just sitting and eating, and all of a sudden…the bag is empty. You and I both know were those chips went…your waistline.
5) Never give up your favorite foods. The problem with many diets is that they ask you to give up some of your favorite foods. They key is moderation. I love cake…I mean love. So instead of making a whole cake or a tray of brownies, for my fiancé and I. I am going to hope down to Cupcake, a great little cupcake bakery in Charleston, and buy one cupcake, instead of baking a dozen.
6) Keep the snacks out of your house. If you only enjoy your sweet treat and snacks out of your house, then you will not have to worry about the temptation being around when you are board.
7) Eat like a Hobbit. If you eat lots of mini-meals you can keep hunger at bay. After all…who wouldn’t like second supper?
Carbs8 ) Protein is better than carbs. Nuts, cheese, and beans are better for curbing your hunger than high carb foods.
9) Crank up the flavor. Spices and chilies stimulate your taste buds, so you will feel more satisfied faster.
10) Fill your kitchen with healthy foods. Grab some Boca, or grilled chicken strips, or veggies. You will want to snack, so make sure you have something to snack on. It is too easy to make a quick trip to McDonalds when you “just want a box of fries.
11) Order off the kids menu. Ignore the “12 and under” fine print, and order away. The smaller portions will make sure you don’t over eat, and the meal will be just as tasty.
12) Eat only the finest. South Carolina is home to some really fantastic produce. If you shop the roadside stands and farmer’s markets, you will be sure to have the freshest produce. And you will be supporting your local farmers on top of that. The South Carolina Department of Agriculture Has a great directory of all the Roadside markets in South Carolina, and what they
13) Reduce the amount of pasta you eat. Pasta, while tasty, is also very high in starch. You can save over 100 calories a meal, by leaving out the pasta.
14) Work out. I know many of you don’t want to hear it, but ladies you have to move to lose. Do Pilates, walk on the beach, run, it doesn’t really matter, as long as you make it a habit.